GoDaddy, the leading cloud platform dedicated to small, and independent ventures. Helping take millions of ideas into the digital space and providing an all-in-one place to make your digital presence. The company’s cloud platform provides 20+ million customers and entrepreneurs to make their mark on the digital landscape by providing various hosting, website building and ecommerce support.
As E-commerce evolves, so does the needs that new entrepreneurs have. For them to compete with the largest of stores, they too require a payment gateway that would allow convenient online subscription payments. For this, GoDaddy looked to acquire GoPay. It matched the current needs of the intricate web store infrastructure and could provide it to their customers. The challenge was to merge the newly acquired company into an application for GoDaddy’s customers. Re-engineering the existing infrastructure for actionable insights and strategic development.
- The data was not ready for Business Intelligence & Analytics.
- The information systems between the client and the company were not compatible forming Data Silos.
- Adoption of the standard practices of authorization was a requirement set by client.
- GoPay was hosted on a PCI AWS account.
Both GoDaddy and GoPay had been using AWS for certain pieces of infrastructures, as it was the best option for those services. Building on top of that Virtue Tech suggested GoDaddy to leverage the large amount of transactional data being created for GoPay and create a bespoke scripting tool for extraction and migration of the data into a newly created data lake. With its unlimited storage capable of storing the terabytes of daily transactional data, the Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) was used to implement the data lake. S3 is able to provide a secure, durable, and scalable storage for large data collections, and integrates with Amazon’s EMR. EMR is a fully managed extract, transform and load (ETL) service, which is used with PySpark and Amazon Athena to provide data ingestion and processing.
Benefits of AWS?
- Swiftly migrated, updating 120 tables in just 2 months.
- Standard practices of authorization were introduced, reinforcing enterprise grade security throughout the GoDaddy infrastructure.
- Enabled rapid testing of new tools and technologies, with the increased availability of data.
- Removal of Data Silos, led to removal of redundant values, providing significant savings in data center costs.
- Reduced costs for infrastructure maintenance by 50%, while also cutting licensing costs by integrating open-source tools.