Pet-care industry leader with thousands of locations and millions of clients needed to migrate to cloud data infrastructure, requiring a modern data infrastructure from data storage to BI that could utilize advanced analytical techniques to deliver business insights, customer needs and make data-driven business decisions.
Client: A US-based pet-care, adoption, and grooming services company with thousands of locations.
Problem: The client handles more than 2 million clients per year and provides a broad range of services such as physical exams, vaccinations, surgeries, pet grooming and pet boarding. This leads to a high-volume of data creation which needs to be stored and analyzed. The client was utilizing Microsoft SQL Server, Analysis and reporting services up till now, but they need to modernize this data system and wanted to shift their data systems onto Microsoft Azure, with custom built data lakes connected with Azure Databricks and Azure SQL. In addition, they required personalized analytical and BI systems to be built on top of the data storage. We can think of the business objectives as follows:
- Establish the core data infrastructure to be able to answer business questions in a timely manner and deliver Machine Learning driven applications. (Migration to cloud and building analytical models)
- Provide actionable insights to business users, enable data driven decision making, by delivering the insights at the right time at the right place. (BI system for business insights)
- Provide enterprise level, interactive BI reports & dashboards for various programs such as Home Delivery, Client Reminders, Referral programs and more. (BI system for customer insights)
VT Solution: We provided a migration from Microsoft RDBMS Servers into Azure cloud services, establishing a data lake and connecting it to Azure services such as Databricks and SQL. We built semantic models in Azure Analysis Service for the client’s several business units and business programs. Developing frameworks and designing patterns for data integration into the cloud, moving on-premises data stores into the cloud. Building BI system to build dashboards, visualizations and reports to find business insights and better understand customer needs and demands.
- Achieved client’s business objectives by establishing a modern data infrastructure on cloud services.
- Migrated RDBMS data stores held on client premises to a Azure cloud services
- Created Data infrastructure including data lakes, analytical models and frameworks, and a modern BI system that fit the client’s data needs
- Enabled easy to use BI system to allow client’s analytics team to easily access the data and compile reports and stories for enterprise level executives.