With high-speed internet, on-cloud applications, data creation, and consumption rates have increased significantly. According to Statista, Internet traffic will produce approximately 79 exabytes per month.
Factors responsible for increased data creation and usage are
1. Migration of on-premise applications to the cloud.
2. Increased interest in AI, ML.
3. Wide application of data analytics.
Customers wish to seek solutions with enhanced data durability, fast response time, more security, and greater data accessibility. For organizations, data is of the utmost importance. The data is crucial for advanced analytics and business intelligence. Regulatory compliance also requires longer retention of data.
To cater to the need for longer retention of bulk data, AWS offers a comprehensive set of cloud storage services. Let us walk through them.
Amazon storage classes: AWS S3 GLACIER and AWS S3 GLACIER DEEP ARCHIVE
Amazon S3 Glacier and S3 Glacier Deep Archive are S3 storage classes for data archiving and long-term backups. They are secure, durable, and economical. These solutions aim to provide 99.99% durability, comprehensive security, and compliance with stringent regulatory norms. It is highly feasible compared to on-premise solutions. It costs as little as $1 per terabyte per month. To meet varying storing and retrieval needs, AWS provides the following options.
AWS S3 GLACIER provides you the facility to achieve data from a few minutes to several hours. S3 Glacier Deep Archive gives you two options ranging from 12 to 48 hours.
Benefits of using AWS archiving services
- Quick retrieval: The amazon S3 glacier storage provides three retrieval options to meet your demands. For hot data use cases, retrieval typically takes 1-5 minutes. Standard retrieval takes 3-5 hours that is ideal for less time-sensitive needs like data backup, log-term analytics, and media editing. Bulk retrieval is the lowest cost storage option that returns a large amount of data in 5-12 hours. The Amazon S3 glacier deep archive gives two retrieval options ranging from 12 to 48 hours.
- Unparalleled scalability and durability: These AWS services run on the largest global cloud infrastructure. Data is distributed among a minimum of 3 physical locations that are separated within an AWS region. It helps in achieving high durability and scalability.
- Unmatched security and compliance capability: These AWS storage classes can be integrated with AWS Cloudtrail to log, monitor, and retain API call activities. It helps in auditing and encrypting. These classes support various standard and compliance certificates too. Amazon S3 Object Lock integrates with the storage classes to satisfy compliance requirements for almost every regulatory agency in the world.
- Economically feasible: They are the lowest cost Amazon S3 storage classes that allow archiving a large amount of data at the least cost. It follows a pay-per-use model with no minimum commitments. This characteristic makes it feasible for analytics, IoT, A, ML, compliance, and media asset archiving.
- Easily integrate with many partners: AWS includes thousands of consulting, system integrators, and software vendor partners. AWS Partner Network partners have adapted their services and software to work with AWS storage classes. It provides solutions for backup and recovery, archiving, and disaster recovery.
- Archiving Healthcare Information – Hospitals need to retain the medical records of the patients for decades to meet the regulatory norm. Amazon storage classes help you in storing petabytes of old data at a relatively low cost.
- Regulatory & Compliance Archiving – Amazon S3 object lock helps in setting compliance controls. It is useful in many financial and healthcare services.
- Storing Scientific Data – For any research, organizations generate, analyze, and archive a huge amount of data. Amazon S3 Glacier and S3 Glacier Deep Archive storage classes retain the data without bothering about the complexities of hardware and facility management. ‘
- Storing Media Assets – Media assets such as news and video require high storage volumes and can grow to petabytes over time. The amazon storage classes allow you to store old content conveniently. Content on these classes is easily distributable.
- Digital Preservation – Government agencies are moving towards digital preservation where they face data integrity issues. Amazon data storage classes perform regular data integrity checks.
AWS S3 Glacier and AWS S3 Deep archive Glacier facilitates retaining old data at feasible costs. Data is ever-growing. These amazon storage classes make it easier to manage, store and access archive data.
Let us know your thoughts on implementing AWS storage classes at firstname.lastname@example.org.